Monday, December 27, 2010

Starbuck during the blizzard... looking at a picture of myself.

I tweeted about this yesterday but I wanted to share in detail what happened with me and a stranger names Sean yesterday.

So I'm out in the snow storm, because I want to be and because I'd rather be out nowadays instead of in my apartment with my thoughts (I'm learning that I do better when I'm busy), and I take a seat at starbucks with my tall, soy, no water, no foam, chai. I take forever to get adjusted because I have on like 5 layers of clothes. I sit and take out my laptop to get some work done. I get into a groove of answering emails and promoting and BAM... A man who works for the city, I think he works with trash, sees me like he was looking for me for a while, sits down and proceeds to tell me about a woman who was extremely rude to him in the bathroom line. He's in the line for a while, ut then goes in but checks a text message. As he is answering the text message, the woman behind him in the line, bangs on the door. He explains to me that he addresses her warmly and says *in the most suzie home-make voice* "Someone is in here, I will be right out". He uses the bathroom, washes his hands and leaves the stall. While he is leaving, the elderly woman interrogates him as to why it took him so long. And according to Sean, she was badgering him. He said she said "what if there were feces everywhere??"

Now, he started the conversation with things that are pleasant and likened all of that to what ia Godly and likened the opposite of all that isn't pleasant to what is unGodly and he starts talking about the wrath of God and immediately my face changed to... "uuuuhm you on that BS".

He sees my face and asks about it and I told him that my experience of God is nothing like that. I don't know of a wrathful god, full of rage, jealous, mad, or a superior God with human distorted qualities. And I explained to him that even when times are unpleasant, that that time can be a defining time for you, so why not call it a blessing.

He agreed and continued his story and was a bit careful, knowing my interpretation of God.

After his story I encouraged him not to think lowly of the woman. I reminded him that its the holidays and not everyone remembers joy during these times. I reminded him that we have no idea what she's going through. But he kept coming back to the idea that her going off at him was "Sad". But then I told him that, maybe her going off was a release and that he shouldn't take it personal. Maybe she felt much better after the encounter.

I reminded him that he was better off feeling "good" about it then feeling bad, sorry or sad.

He didn't want to leave.

He says I look strikingly like his sister.

He tells me about how his sister's family invited him for Christmas Dinner and surprised him with his sister coming to town, a woman he hasn't seen in years.

He tells me about the gift that he got this woman after knowing her for a month or so. A new lover.

He tells me about his son, and how he seemingly lost him due to his battle with drugs. But because of the program that he's on, he's able to put his life together and is determined to get him back.

He tells me of his Mom.

Yeah, he didn't want to leave.

I really wanted to be alone, but then I thought to myself: this is a direct response from the universe. Peep my musings below on twitter. Start at the bottom.


Funny how the universe works... actually it ain't funny at all, its very on point.

No comments: